80% support the right of ticket holders to resell, give away or donate their tickets
68% of Michigan Fans SUPPORT legislation like HB 4224 – allowing fans to resell at prices they choose
September 19 – New polling released by NetChoice shows that both Michigan voters support ticket resale rights and want to be able to resell their tickets for a price they choose.
According to a survey of more than 600 Michiganders conducted by Zogby Analytics and commissioned by NetChoice, 80% support the right of ticket holders to resell, give away, or donate their tickets. 62% say that Michigan law needs to change so consumers can decide what price to sell their tickets – 68% of Michigan Fans support legislation like HB 4224 allowing fans to resell at prices they choose.
“This poll sends a very clear message to Lansing – constituents want legislation to protect their rights as ticket owners,” said Carl Szabo, Vice President and General Counsel of NetChoice. “Consumers expect that once they have purchased a ticket, they own it and can give away or resell however they choose. Michiganders want state laws updated to reflect their views.”
Existing Michigan law denies fans the right to resell their tickets at a price they choose without written permission from the ticket issuer. The polling shows that Michiganders strongly support legislation to change this status quo.
The research found that Michigan voters would also be more likely to vote for candidates that support a change in the law. 3 to 1, respondents with an opinion would be more likely to vote for a candidate that supports ticket resell rights by a margin.
“Clearly, Michiganders want ticket holders to determine how and at what price they can sell their tickets. Let’s hope their representatives pass laws to give them these rights.” continued Szabo.
Other survey findings included:
Michigan Consumers Deserve Control of Their Tickets
- 69% say a ticket is personal property and they should have full control of it
- 75% say taxpayer-subsidized venues should freely allow taxpayers to purchase, transfer and resell tickets
- 80% support the right of ticket holders to resell, give away or donate their tickets
Voters want Michigan Ticket Laws to Change
- 62% say Michigan law needs changing so consumers can decide what price they want to resell their ticket
- 3 in 4 respondents with an opinion support legislation that allows ticket owners to choose what price they can resell tickets
- 68% support legislation that guaranteed the ability to resell event tickets at the price they choose
- 75% of registered independents support legislation that guaranteed the ability to resell event tickets at the price they choose
About the survey: From July 12-15, 2018 Zogby Analytics conducted an interactive survey of 601 adults in Michigan on their views of ticket resale rights and related legislation. The survey, commissioned by NetChoice, has a margin of error of +/- 4%.
About NetChoice: NetChoice is a trade association of eCommerce businesses and online consumers all of whom share the goal of promoting convenience, choice, and commerce on the net.