WASHINGTON—Today, the U.S. Senate is holding a confirmation hearing for President Joe Biden’s nominee to lead the Labor Department, Julie Su.
Su has a clear record of supporting union efforts over the needs and freedoms of American workers. During her time leading California’s Labor and Workforce Development Agency, Su oversaw the implementation of AB 5, a law that decimated California’s freelance workforce.
“We must encourage more people to participate in our workforce, not push them out. Su’s history as a California bureaucrat shows she’s likely to push policies to support Big Labor at the expense of blocking many Americans from earning a living,” said NetChoice Vice President & General Counsel Carl Szabo. “Su’s nomination from Biden yet again shows she’d rather play to his donor base than worry about the needs of everyday Americans.”
Szabo continued: “Lawmakers must not allow Big Unions to have such a prominent role in our government. Americans should be allowed to design their own work and lifestyles, and Su has shown through her work on AB 5 in California and her support of the PRO Act in Congress that she does not support worker freedom.”
Below are some resources on AB 5, the PRO Act and why Su’s nomination would be harmful for the future of work in the U.S. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
- COVID already kicked my wife out of the workforce. Biden shouldn’t make it harder for her to come back.
- Biden’s attack on gig work is an Uber mistake
- Everything is more expensive under the PRO Act. And that’s if you can even keep your job.
- Biden’s Economic Dumpster Fire Comes for Worker Freedom
- Biden’s Labor Department Proposes Rule That Would Undermine American Freedoms
- Biden is coming for your job